Living in Data - PDF free download eBook
Looking for file living-data.pdf to download for free? Use our search system and download ebook for computer, smartphone or online reading. Also, you can buy a paper edition of Living in Data for only $27.00. Links to the on-line stores you'll find on this page.
Details of Living in Data
- Exact title of book
- Living in Data
- Book author
- Jer Thorp
- Farrar, Straus and Giroux
- Mar 09, 2021
- PDF, FB2, EPUB, MOBI
- File size (in PDF)
- 2016 kB
Some brief overview of book
A provocative, eye-opening, example-laden exploration of our current and future relationship with data In the fall of 2009, the data artist Jer Thorp wrote a pair of algorithms to inscribe names on the 911 Memorial in Manhattan. The project involved designing a layout that allowed for "meaningful adjacencies"family members, business partners, coworkersto be etched into the bronze in close proximity. Thorp presented his results in competition against another team, a group of financial analysts who had also been working on the problem.
The analysts were confident theyd found the most highly optimized solutiona maximum of about 93 percent of the adjacencies could be satisfiedwhen Thorp, a long-haired artist working on an old broken laptop, presented his layout it was 99. 99 percent solved. The analysts, it turned out, had looked at the data but not at how the data was to be represented.
But Thorp considered each name as a unique unit in a real system. Hed solved a data problem by honoring the people from whom the data came, as well as the world in which that data would live. The memorial project represents Thorps approach to data as a rich medium for personal and community growth.
This human-centered approach has defined his work, from The New York Times to the Museum of Modern Art to the Library of Congress; from a submarine at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico to a boat in the middle of Africa's Okavango Delta; from Manchesters town hall to an abandoned school in St. Louiss north side. In Living in Data, Thorp proves that thinking about data in a human context makes us better problem solvers and builds a healthier relationship between us and our dataone that puts our well-being front and centerand that there is a path forward beyond the extractive, impersonal nature of the "big data" era.
Download Living Data as e-book
Press the button get download links and wait a little while. Using file-sharing servers API, our site will find the e-book file in various formats (such as PDF, EPUB and other). One button - all links for download in all e-book formats! Please do not reload the page during the search. A typical file search time is about 15-20 seconds.
Free service that helps find any e-book in automatic mode on private file-servers.
Small FAQ about download
- Book files are stored on servers owned by you?
- No. We do not store files, because it is prohibited. Our site uses the API of third-party sites that store files. That is, we are doing the same thing as Google, only within the framework of one subject. Third-party sites are multimedia services that allow you to read and download e-books. By subscribing, you get access to a huge library of multimedia content, which is updated daily. Services are fully optimized for all platforms - iOS, Android and PC.
- How time will the file be downloaded?
- Very fast. We regularly check (this is a fully automatic process) the availability of servers, the links to which we offer you. If the server does not provide a quick download, then we remove it from the list.
- Which format of file is better to download?
- Modern smartphones and computers can read files of any format. But the most compatible is the PDF format. For example, the living-data.pdf can be read in Mozilla Firefox or Chrome browser without any additions.
All downloaded files are checked
Continuous automatic checking and verification of file checksums ensures that there are no viruses or adware. Our system uses several antiviruses at once to fully guarantee the cleanliness of downloaded files.
Buy book with delivery
A real book is always better than an electronic copy. The Living in Data is available online at leading bookstores. Delivery is possible to the USA, Canada, Great Britain and any other country in the world. The book price and delivery terms may vary depending on the store, carefully check all conditions to choose the best option for you.
A product of ongoing collaborations between the independent bookstore members of the American Booksellers Association, IndieBound is all about independent bookstores and the power of "local first" shopping.
Founded in 1917 as a street corner newsstand in Florence, Books-A-Million, Inc. has grown to become the premier book retailing chain in the Southeastern United States, and the second largest book retailer in the nation.
On Nov 26, 2020 average price